Iberian Publishing Company's On-Line Catalog: Page County Virginia
Page County was formed in 1831 from portions of Shenandoah and Rockingham counties and named for John Page, revolutionary patriot, congressman, and governor of Virginia from 1802 to 1805. Its boundaries have remained stable since its founding.
The settlers for the region came from a variety of sources: Germans and Swiss from Spotswood's Germanna Colony drifted through the gaps of the Blue Ridge into what was then called "Messenutten"; Pennsylvania Germans and a number of Mennonite families came down the Indian path; and Scotch-Irish came in considerable numbers to populate the small towns in the area. Most genealogists and historians agree that these settlers in Massanutten were the first permanent settlers west of the Blue ridge, beginning their homesteads as early as 1726. Many of their records can be found in the archives of Spotsylvania and Orange counties.
The Page Valley remained among the most remote regions of the Shenandoah Valley, and the formation of the new county in 1831 was perhaps recognition of its slowly-developing economy and connection with the ironworks at Harpers Ferry. Large quantities of ore were shipped from Page Valley to provide the raw material for this booming industry in the post 1830s.
For a better understanding of county boundary changes, see our new section Virginia in MapsPAGE COUNTY, VIRGINIA MEN IN GRAY
compiled by Thomas M. Spratt. 1994, ca. 400 pages, index. A continuation of the same series as
"Shenandoah County Men in Gray" (see Shenandoah county for details).[Pcmg] $29.95