Census Records   Military
Other States   New Titles   E-BOOKS
Iberian Publishing Company's On-Line Catalog:
Lewis County Virginia
Lewis County was established in 1816
from Harrison County; however, the area of the new county had first been settled shortly after the Revolutionary War during the westward
movement into the Alleghanies. The new county was named in honor of Charles Lewis, a frontier leader killed in the Battle of Point Pleasant
in 1774. In 1818 a small part of Randolph County was added to Lewis. Braxton County was formed in 1836 from the southern portion of Lewis,
and in 1843 and 1845 addition portions were taken to form parts of several counties: Barbour and Ritchie (1843), Doddridge and Gilmer (1845).
In 1851 still further land was taken to form Upshur County.
For a better understanding of county boundary changes, see our new section Virginia in Maps
For records pertaining to Lewis COUNTY, VIRGINIA see:
|| Virginia/W.Va. || General Reference || Military Records ||
|| Other States || Genealogy Links || New Titles || Home Page || E-Books ||
Copyright © 2014 Iberian Publishing Company